Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sepia Saturday #428. Hats!

Maybe this is a cheap shot. I love the original photo and resorted to captioning as once again I have nothing sepia to match the prompt. The photo is from a collection of Norwegian county archives. I looked through them on Flicker at Fylekesarkivet: Sogn og Fjorda and found them fascinating. Don't go there unless you have an hour on your hands. 


I do have contemporary hat photos. This one was taken in Seattle where all four of us bought Tilley hats, prior to boarding an uncruise. I've never worn mine as I only cover my head in the heat and a black hat? What was I thinking? I got swept up in the shopping frenzy. The sales people were excellent. The hat languishes high on my closet shelf gathering dust and will probably end up at the Angel Shop in Fallbrook. The other three made better selections and use them often.


The last photo is my French-Canadian grandparents who lived on a farm in Letellier, Manitoba in Canada. I included it because of the background. And to be fair, I added a caption. My grandmother always did the talking if English was necessary. My grandfather understood but spoke little English. Instead, he used his generous eyebrows to convey his opinion when English was being used. 

Grab your hat and dash over to Sepia Saturdayfor more interpretations of the theme. 


9 comments:

  1. I love the one with the fur coats...and imagine they would feel good in winter. Hope the studio was cold enough that they weren't overheated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your captions. Congratulations on coming up with an original approach to this week’s prompt photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your captions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your captions are great fun! I use those things on pictures a lot. Don't feel bad about the hat sitting on your shelf. I have several on my shelf. I love hats but rarely actually wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess to getting caught up in a shopping frenzy and regretting my purchases. It happens. Loved the captions. And that last photo is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I wish I had a photo of my French-Canadian ancestors. This studio shot of your grandparents is lovely. As for your black hat, I would tie a colorful scarf around it and use it as a sunhat in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job and loved the captions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me laugh! Three times too! I sometimes come across vintage photos of people dressed in heavy fur overcoats who don't look like they ever really wore them. I suspect they were used as a photographer's gimmick to attract tourists looking for a funny souvenir photo to send back to the folks at home.

    ReplyDelete