Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Short bulletin from Kochi

After two weeks on the road in India and 2000 km. we've adjusted to driving at mad cap speeds with little more than a foot of distance between our van and the object ahead, which could be a truck,motorcycle, mo-ped , bicycle or another van full of terrified tourists. I've stopped applying my imaginary brakes and surrendered all safety concerns to Mamood, our excellent driver, who magically misses pedestrians, dogs, baby carriages, food carts and religious processions by a hair. By a hair!!

Let's see..we've visited temples and then temples and more temples, an ashram, spice plantation, churches, synagogues, museums. We've stayed in luxury hotels (we're in one today), basic hotels, on a houseboat and in a traditional home stay. We've eaten Indian food up the wazoo - what else would you expect? Tonight we eat with Nimi Paul who teaches Kerala cooking classes in her home. 

We've paid one dollar for a meal and just now for lunch we paid $12.00 each for ayurvedic mocktails...lemonade with mint and a slice of cucumber for garnish. Detoxifying they say - I don't feel any less toxic, only lighter in the wallet.

Tomorrow we leave early and fly to Bengalore then drive to Mysore. In a couple of days we'll wash up in Goa to rest and relax for a few days before the long trek back through Dubai and then via Emirates Air, all the way home in one 17 hour flight.

Nemaste.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:04 AM

    Hi Helen Great to hear about your adventure. We want more details upon your return Beth C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous. Have a safe and pleasant flight home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great...except for the mad cap speed. Can't wait to hear and see all about it. We missed you at book club last night. We discussed having you do a show and tell slide show at the next meeting. I suppose it wouldn't be slides but you know what I mean.
    Keep having fun!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun packed trip. I don't think I could take the traffic. Sounds pretty scary.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:18 PM

    hi!,I like your writing very a lot! proportion we keep up a correspondence more about your article
    on AOL? I need an expert on this area to resolve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to look you.


    Visit my blog post registry cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:30 AM

    Тhiѕ will ρrevent the ԁough frоm gеttіng stuсk tightly tο the surface
    of the pizza ρan. Lауeг bottοm with
    as muсh or as littlе pizza sauce as you like.
    Fоr ѕеveral weеkѕ I had been seeing thiѕ commercіal on telеvіsiοn tellіng about
    a nеw ρіzzа аnd sinсе
    Ι loѵе pіzza I deciԁеd to
    puгchаsе one on my next ѕhoррing trіp.


    Feel free to ѕuгf to my ωеbpage; Pizza Pan Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:19 AM

    analyst I sense that theгe are non-rаtіοnal forces at job.
    On the exасt acсoгd newspaperѕ have
    bеen ѕurelу not about the wiԁe-ѕрread life.
    ӏn 1915 the ωoгmωοοԁ
    ωas taκen out and the lіqueur diluted to its recent еneгgy.


    Нeге is my homеpage: connotea.org

    ReplyDelete