Friday, November 01, 2013

I wish I had crazy eyes to see you twice!

From www.cuban-traditions.com

The piropo (a compliment) is the channel to project that joyful charge of imagination in the spirit. Forty years ago it was more delicate and elegant, nowadays, although it keeps its original charm, it applies to modern resources. For instance our parents used the night (her eyes are dark as the night), to nature (if the sea were a woman, you will be its queen), to religion (God created women so that I could meet you), and even floristry (you are the favourite flower in my garden). Nowadays the piropos are different. 

They keep their charm, but they are less poetic and more realistic. You could hear:El Piropo
with those fishermen pants I would not hesitate to be fished by you; I wish I were a computer to have you navigate in my Internet. Some of them survived decades and are in used today. If you cook the way you walk, Id eat it all. In some cases the piropos can be offensive and rude, but always have a witty touch of poetry.  pick-up lines.....

"From what toy store did you escape, pretty doll?" 
"Why is doing a star flying down here?" 
"I wish I had crazy eyes to see you twice!" 
"If kissing you were a sin, I would volunteer to go to hell." 
"Don't worry if you are married. Im not jealous!" 
"With a candy like you, I would not mind to suffer from diabetes." 
"Whats going on in heaven? Angels are falling?" 

The final goal of the piropo is conquest!

Continuing on our itinerary for Cuba on Day 5, we leave Cienfuegos and bus to Havana via the Bay of Pigs, Caleton and Playa Larga. We have a Spanish lesson at the University of Havana and a tour of old Havana with a local architect. Is this instant Spanish? How much could you possibly learn in one lesson? Some of the planned events on the schedule are
laughable but will probably be fun, at the least.

For lunch we meet with a local baseball expert and then we go Jaimanitas home to ceramic artist Jose Rodriguez Fuster a muralist. After a dinner at a local restaurant we head over to La Cabana Castle and end the evening with a bang;  a cannon is ceremoniously fired into the night. Sounds kind of corny but sometimes these things are a surprise.

I'm working on some original piropos to try on my husband.
"Hey Ricardo, every time I see you I feel like making guacamole."




No comments:

Post a Comment