Thursday, September 06, 2018

Sepia Saturday #435: Seeing Things

"Wedding on the Steps," from Alan's collection
This photo from my family album was taken in June 1959. My mother holds a beautiful bouquet of lilacs in our backyard. This blossom bounty was probably divided into a couple of smaller bouquets for my grandmothers.
Everyone cherished these flowers because they were so fragrant and so fleeting. As a grade schooler, I took the flowers to my teachers. By 1959 I'd given up the notion of buttering-up the teachers and instead, like most teens, preferred to bug them. None of my gang would have been caught dead, kissing up like that. No, we preferred to slouch around in the local hangout, "Welcome Inn," where we crammed eight kids in a booth, sharing one cigarette and one coke and pumping the jukebox with quarters(?) to play our favorite songs. Below is the big hit list from 1959. Why can I still recall most, well— some of these lyrics (never heard of number 100, "Seven Little Girls Sitting in the Back Seat") but can't remember where my car keys are? 

Curiosity got the better of me. Here's a music video of #100, Seven Little Girls. The video is fun and brings back memories. Is Fred in a lab coat in the back seat? I can almost smell Paul Evan's Brylcreem. My own hair in those years was shellacked into place with AquaNet hairspray. This would make a fabulous retro PSA for distracted driving. 





TitleArtist(s)
1"The Battle of New Orleans"Johnny Horton
2"Mack the Knife"Bobby Darin
3"Personality"Lloyd Price
4"Venus"Frankie Avalon
5"Lonely Boy"Paul Anka
6"Dream Lover"Bobby Darin
7"The Three Bells"The Browns
8"Come Softly to Me"The Fleetwoods
9"Kansas City"Wilbert Harrison
10"Mr. Blue"The Fleetwoods
11"Sleep Walk"Santo & Johnny
12"Put Your Head on My Shoulder"Paul Anka
13"Stagger Lee"Lloyd Price
14"Donna"Ritchie Valens
15"Pink Shoe Laces"Dodie Stevens
16"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"The Platters
17"Charlie Brown"The Coasters
18"Quiet Village"Martin Denny
19"My Heart Is an Open Book"Carl Dobkins Jr.
20"(Till) I Kissed You"The Everly Brothers
21"Sea of Love"Phil Phillips
22"The Happy Organ"Dave "Baby" Cortez
23"I'm Gonna Get Married"Lloyd Price
24"Sorry (I Ran All the Way Home)"The Impalas
25"A Teenager in Love"Dion and the Belmonts
26"16 Candles"The Crests
27"It's Just a Matter of Time"Brook Benton
28"Lipstick on Your Collar"Connie Francis
29"There Goes My Baby"The Drifters
30"A Big Hunk o' Love"Elvis Presley
31"Red River Rock"Johnny and the Hurricanes
32"Waterloo"Stonewall Jackson
33"Lavender Blue"Sammy Turner
34"(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I"Elvis Presley
35"Guitar Boogie Shuffle"The Virtues
36"Teen Beat"Sandy Nelson
37"Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)"Edd Byrnes & Connie Stevens
38"Tragedy"Thomas Wayne
39"My Happiness"Connie Francis
40"Tallahassee Lassie"Freddy Cannon
41"Tiger"Fabian
42"Never Be Anyone Else But You"Ricky Nelson
43"Don't You Know?"Della Reese
44"I Need Your Love Tonight"Elvis Presley
45"What a Diff'rence a Day Makes"Dinah Washington
46"The All American Boy"Bill Parsons
47"Primrose Lane"Jerry Wallace
48"Alvin's Harmonica"The Chipmunks
49"Lonely Street"Andy Williams
50"What'd I Say"Ray Charles
51"Broken Hearted Melody"Sarah Vaughan
52"Only You (And You Alone)"Franck Pourcel
53"Gotta Travel On"Billy Grammer
54"Poison Ivy"The Coasters
55"Turn Me Loose"Fabian
56"Lonely Teardrops"Jackie Wilson
57"Hawaiian Wedding Song"Andy Williams
58"Forty Miles of Bad Road"Duane Eddy
59"Just Ask Your Heart"Frankie Avalon
60"Tell Him No"Travis and Bob
61"Frankie"Connie Francis
62"I've Had It"The Bell Notes
63"I Cried a Tear"LaVern Baker
64"Enchanted"The Platters
65"Since I Don't Have You"The Skyliners
66"Peter Gunn Theme"Ray Anthony
67"The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)"The Chipmunks
68"I Want to Walk You Home"Fats Domino
69"So Fine"The Fiestas
70"Bobby Sox to Stockings"Frankie Avalon
71"The Deck of Cards"Wink Martindale
72"A Lover's Question"Clyde McPhatter
73"I Only Have Eyes for You"The Flamingos
74"It's Late"Ricky Nelson
75"Petite Fleur"Chris Barber's Jazz Band
76"Tall Paul"Annette Funicello
77"The Tijuana Jail"The Kingston Trio
78"Just a Little Too Much"Ricky Nelson
79"Goodbye Baby"Jack Scott
80"Along Came Jones"The Coasters
81"Three Stars"Tommy Dee & Carol Kay
82"A Boy Without a Girl"Frankie Avalon
83"Sweeter Than You"Ricky Nelson
84"It Was I"Skip & Flip
85"Goodbye Jimmy, Goodbye"Kathy Linden
86"Manhattan Spiritual"Reg Owen Orchestra
87"Endlessly"Brook Benton
88"Heartaches by the Number"Guy Mitchell
89"Sea Cruise"Frankie Ford
90"That's Why (I Love You So)"Jackie Wilson
91"You're So Fine"The Falcons
92"Kissin' Time"Bobby Rydell
93"My Wish Came True"Elvis Presley
94"Morgen"Ivo Robić
95"Baby Talk"Jan and Dean
96"Take a Message to Mary"The Everly Brothers
97"The Battle Hymn of the Republic"Mormon Tabernacle Choir
98"Bongo Rock"Preston Epps
99"In the Mood"Ernie Fields
100"Seven Little Girls Sitting in the Back Seat"Paul Evans
             

Studying my photo as we do for Sepia Saturday, I was surprised at what I saw that I overlooked for years. Like this man's face nestled/hidden in the bouquet.


Okay, when you get closer up you really have to use your imagination.

I'm currently writing, er....trying to write fiction. I should clarify and say I'm learning about writing fiction. Every second week, I swear to quit because it takes so much time. But then I get an idea and start all over again. I feel a scary story coming on— "The Devil in the Bouquet." Or maybe a tale about those Seven Little Girls or Fred. Or a story about having a song rise to #100 and then stall there?

I think the reason I saw the image stems back to my days growing up in Canada. In 1954, the Canadian one dollar bill was issued. Here's the picture of the Queen on the bill:




And here's a close-up of her image:



As you can see (or not) there seems to be a devil's image in the Queen's curls. A huge controversy ensued over the bill; nut cases came out of the woodwork with bizarre conspiracy theories and the mint had to reissue the bill with the curls altered and the so-called image obliterated. 

Googling the matter, I found mention of a memoir of the Royal photographer who took this picture during that time period. It turns out he was gay and involved with the Queen's male hairdresser. Maybe there was some sort of covert statement being made after all? Here's the reference if anyone is interested.

Devils Face in Queens hair

Almost every day, there's some article in "News of the Weird" about a holy image in a fallen ice cream cone or on a stained wall or a baby's diaper. The most bizarre ghostly and holy image I can remember hearing about was the Virgin Mary's image on toast. The holy toast was a decade old when it was auctioned on ebay in 2004 for $28,000. Personally ,I think the image looks more like Marlene Dietrich than I imagined the Virgin Mary might look.

Check out Sepia Saturday for stories from saner people with more organized minds. 






9 comments:

  1. Lilacs are beautiful but I had no idea how fleeting their blossoms are till we planted a lilac bush. As to the bloom that looks like a man's face, perhaps that's what Fred looked like after a few years of kissing and hugging with too many girls? Thanks for the video & the top 100 list. Gosh! I still have some of those 45s!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Fred. Over-hugged. Do you ever play the 45's?

      Delete
  2. Amazing what you can discover if you look closely enough at some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sepia Saturday changed the way I look at photographs and all art!!

      Delete
  3. So fun to see the top 100 list...and I was squeezed into a booth with my girlfriends many times, unless we got up to dance in our bobby socks and pleated plaid skirts! (I think I seldom had a date for those afternoons at the Pub.) Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun post. In sepia tone the lilacs look more like clouds or cotton candy. The hidden mystery figure as an optical illusion has been used by artists for hundreds of years. Lots of Medieval, Reconnaissance, and Baroque painters put secret figures into their paintings. Early photographers imitated them by figuring out ways to create impossible double exposures and strange perspective images with cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see faces in clouds and rocks and in the dancing flames of the roaring fire, but I’m struggling to see the devil in the detail here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lilacs are gorgeous...you can almost smell them all these decades later. And I'm with you on the toast...it puts me in mind of a flamenco dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I loved the face in your bouquet ! Flower Power !
    Yes i remember "7 little girls"
    Though no Buddy Holly in your list
    ? 1959 = "the day the music died" .
    Brilliant Post. Those tunes brought back many memories for me too X

    ReplyDelete