Monday, July 21, 2014

Sepia Saturday 238: Rough Draught

I sighed when I saw the prompt for this week. "Oh gee - this is tough," I thought. Finally, I cleared the phlegm from my throat and gnawing on my pencil resigned myself to the assignment but waited until nightfall when the silent "G" screaming out for attention was easier to take in the softer light. "Right!" I said to myself as my mind took flight. With all my might summoned, I leaned into the computer to weigh the alternatives but something outside caught my eye. Was that a gnu walking by with the neighbor's daughter? Thankfully not!! Everything and anything distracts me these days - a gnat flying by, a whiff of cologne or a burst of laughter can ruin my concentration.  Gnashing my teeth, I got back to the campaign at hand. You could go anywhere with this sign business - anywhere from say ads for champagne or varieties of designs from the simply benign to the exotically foreign.  

Finally I said to myself, "Enough!! This is rough but we can get through it." Once more pawing through the photo box, I found this postcard I sent to my sister from Wexford, Ireland in the seventies. Grim as it is, I thought it worked for our prompt because the signage covers all three of the owner's undertakings (whoops - pardon the grisly pun) - the bar, the funeral business and grocery store. 

Undertaker's and Bar in Wexford Town.

On the reverse I wrote: 

"Hi Eilleen. This is quite a corner - eat, drink and drop dead all within steps of each other. How convenient! Lots and lots of Killeens here. See you soon, Helen"

Funny, when you start to talk about the dismal and ghoulish, the silent G is naught not be found. Gravely I contemplated a partial glossary: garrote, gallows, grimy, grotty, grotesque, gritty, ghostly AND grisly - just for a start. 

Just as I thought I was finished, I noticed the SIGNS sign could be read as SGNS, the "I" being somewhat obscured by the fire escape. That could lead down another road altogether, a road I'd find most enjoyable but don't have time for today as I'm busy writing a job description for a new Chief Cat here at the grove.  The most famous "missing letter" sign I know is from the play of the same name: 



What a relief it is to have that silent G behind me! As an antidote I offer while giggling, a gaggle of grinning geese going somewhere gaily, somewhere over the grassy green. 




More short stories about signs can be found over at Sepia Saturday.

26 comments:

  1. Wow! That 1 stop shopping is too much. I wonder if they had separate spaces for all or mixed it all up. surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect one stop shop -- they can prepare the body as well as food and drink for after the funeral.

    Very clever word play with the silent G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what you get if you remove every other from SCHMIDT? I heard that happened to the Schmidt Brewery sign in St. Paul, but I don't know if it was true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around here we have "In and Out Burgers" which often becomes "In and Out urge".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the silent Gs - hadn't focussed that there were so many :) Regards Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:14 AM

    A very imaginative post - I enjoyed the read

    ReplyDelete
  7. That postcard is wonderful! The owner was very enterprising. He gets customers one way or another!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved it all! Made me smile!

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. An entertaining, original post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the fun time...certainly had never thought of how many silent g's are in our language...and your card is delightful, as well as the geese! Barb in Black Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Killing myself laughing!! And only in Ireland...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post - with a G that is as silent as a snoring Hippo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:29 AM

    Between you and Postcardy I've had my good laugh for the day. Love the message you sent your sister on the postcard.

    ReplyDelete

  14. A very witty and amusing post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really made me lau_h ! My next assi_nment is to read it aGain.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your missing g's are better represented than mine! You always make me lauGh.

      Delete
  16. And, of course...If you take the silent "G" out of the word "SIGN," you get SIN.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes the themes we think will be the hardest turn out perfect! As was this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gnat a thing wrong with this very entertaining post! :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Completely mad and just my style!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do wonder which one those three gentlemen are waiting on - food, drink or death?
    Or maybe, simply a bus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a hoot! And I am sure that the gaggle of geese read a sign about a sale on goose bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That ’s such a creative take on the prompt, and the postcard is almost unbelievable.Your witty message made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's some amazing little shop where you can eat, drink, and be embalmed. It must be interesting on the inside.... Love the geese.

    ReplyDelete