Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's never too late......



The role of Daniel in "The Man Who Would be King" was reputedly Sean Connery's favorite of all of films. We watched the 1975 flick last night and enjoyed it. 37 years old, it's still fine rollicking, buddy-movie fantasy entertainment.


Karoom Ben Bouih at 103
We were surprised to learn on IMDB that Karoom Ben Bouih who played the high priest Kafu Selimi was 103 years old when he made his one and only movie appearance. He was working as the night watchman of an olive orchard near the Moroccan filming location. John Huston bumped into him and hired him. He'd fall asleep on the set (who wouldn't at 103?) and Huston finally talked him into giving up his night job. Reminded me a little of the Balinese night watchman Nyoman at the Villa Uma in Ubud, Bali where we got married.
At Villa Uma, Bali Wedding: Wayan, Ketut, me, my sister Eilleen, Made, her son Wayan, Richard, Nyoman the night watchman

Nyoman was very old and once owned the beautiful property where the villa was built.   
Outdoor bath, overlooking the property at Villa Uma, Ubud, Bali
View for wedding lunch

 Nyoman would prowl around at night with a flashlight (everyone in Bali had a watchman at that point - it was just after the Bali bombings) and my brother-in-law, jet-lagged and unable to sleep would keep him company trying to pick up a few Balinese words in the process.


But I digress.....Christopher Plummer was in the film playing Rudyard Kipling, the narrator. Plummer holds a record himself in the age department having won an Academy Award in 2010 for Best Actor in  "Beginners". He was 82, the oldest actor to win an Academy Award.





3 comments:

  1. I wish I had known you then so I could have come to your wedding. You look radiant! I, also, wish I could have met your sister.
    One of the many things I like about you is that you have the night watchman in your wedding photo.
    And who are those other Balinese people?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the John Huston story. Wow, to be in a movie at 103, that must have been something. I'll have to read my bio of the Hustons (it's about all the Hustons) and see if he mentions that.
    Loved "Beginners". Christopher Plummer deserved his Oscar.
    Your wedding photo was beautiful.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my most favorite flicks.

    ReplyDelete