Friday, January 05, 2018

Sea Sick

I've never been sea sick. Today I couldn't figure out what was happening. My head felt clamped around the forehead and my mouth was dry. Queasiness set in and I realized I was sea sick.

In our cabin, I opened the veranda and sat in the doorway, fixing my gaze on the horizon. The sea sickness passed in an hour or two; now I'm looking forward to a good long sleep.

I felt like the zebra...half dead and half alive.
I'm sure my complexion torqued through all these lion colours as the ship lurched and rolled.

Everything was annoying, like I imagine this man's pants were to him. He was our guide at Fort Jesus; he'd mumble something unintelligible (meant to be guiding) and kept hitching up his pants which obviously didn't fit.

We found little to like in Mombasa. Dirty and crowded, the city is noisy with menacing-looking knots of youth hanging anywhere you could hang. The tour guide told us "people like to sit around in Mombasa." With forty percent unemployment, what else is there to do? If they asked me, I'd suggest cleaning up the place for a start.

We always attempt to look past the crummy stuff, wherever we are, to something interesting. Here, we found the traffic amazing-not something you'd come back to see again.






2 comments:

  1. If you are still feeling seasick, try to drink some ginger tea or find something with ginger in it to eat, really helps equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll remember to pass on Mombasa and Jesus, too.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete