Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Sepia Saturday #411: The Sad Bride

SEPIA SATURDAY 411 : 24 MARCH 2018
WEDDINGS : GARDEN PORTRAITS : BRIDE : FLOWERS 

Like the other Sepia Saturday theme images for March, the theme image for Sepia Saturday 411 comes from the Flickr Commons stream of the Vancouver Public Library. This 1928 photograph of Florence Timms might put you in mind of weddings and brides, and flowers and ... whatever you can come up with.

This week I looked at the photo of the bride and saw sadness and tension. I hope Florence was happy on her wedding day, but it doesn't show in her face. I made up a little scenario to fit the photo. My apologies to Florence wherever she may be (I couldn't find her on Google)  and I hope her wedding was a happy event.
_________________________________________________________________________

“Any word yet?” asked the bride. 

“No dear. But don’t worry,” said Aggie, her mother, straightening the scalloped hem of her daughter’s dress. “They’ll be here soon.” She tried to keep her tone light and positive, but inwardly she was losing hope. The scalloped dress hem mirrored the course of her daughter’s relationship with Charles—up and down, down and up, on and off like a roller coaster ride.

“Come on sweetheart. Let’s have a little smile,“ said the photographer. “Try to relax!”

Sandra, sister of the bride, looked at her watch again. The two bridesmaids were beginning to sweat. It was 2:59 and the ceremony was to begin at 3:00.

The bride shifted in the seat and licked her lips. She wondered why the photographer had set the chair on a piece of carpet. It was unsteady and she was uneasy, like she could tip over with the slightest wrong move. As if she wasn't nervous enough!

She pulled her feet close together, squared her shoulders and clutched the bouquet to her chest. Maybe he's not going to show up. And maybe it would be for the best, she thought. After all, she was a modern woman and it was 1928. Charles wanted her to resign her beloved nursing job to stay home and keep house. They'd argued and argued over this. It wasn't the only on-going disagreement they had.  

In these modern times could she be happy living as a single, independent woman?

But, left at the altar, would be a terrible humiliation! She’d be a reject. Her lip trembled. Should she get up, throw the bouquet aside and walk out—be the one who left, and not the one left-over and betrayed? While she thought over her options, she looked up and into the camera.
                                **********************

And from my own cigar-box of family photos, my husband's beloved aunt Frankie's wedding, about the same vintage as our prompt photo today. Unlike Florence, Frankie was a happy, smiling bride. On the extreme left is Frankie's sister Lorraine. My mother-in-law, Patti is on Frankie's right. The women all hold elaborate bouquets, each one different. Frankie's husband was a musician who worked in various LA studios writing music for films. I don't know who his best man was. 








Check out Sepia Saturday for more interpretations of this week's interesting photo prompt. 

7 comments:

  1. 2 responses for the price of one! There is probably more truth than fiction to the first story. Frankie’s wedding must have been a grand affair judging by the style of tuxedo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I was so impressed with the perceptive, sad little story you created from the prompt photograph. I liked the detail - the symbolism of the handkerchief dress and the sense of period you conveyed of being on the brink of modern times for women. I feel I make a reasonable stab at “report” writing, but creative writing is beyond me! So,thank you for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I call these micro-stories and your adds a lot of dimension to Florence's photo. Sadly it was certainly a story experienced by other women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just as the camera shutter clicked and the village clock struck three, Florence's disheveled husband-to-be rushed up. "Oh my darling," he panted, gasping for breath, "I'm so sorry I'm late. I pulled your ring out of my pocket to look at it once last time before placing it on your finger and the demmed Rolls hit a pothole and the ring flew out the window and I had to stop and search for it. That's why I look rather a sight as well. But don't worry, I can tidy up quickly. I hope you weren't worried. I kept thinking you might be." Florence gazed up at him. "Of course I wasn't worried. I knew you'd be here." she smiled gamely, crossing her fingers behind her back. "Well, right-O then." he grinned back, leaning down to give her a quick peck on the cheek. "I shall see you inside, shall I?" "Of course." Florence assured him, laughing lightly. "Of course . . . and let the games begin." she murmured softly under her breath as she made to rise. "By all means, let the games begin!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous. I wondered how it would all turn out. Now I know!!! You're good at fiction.

      Delete
  5. Such a gorgeous photo of the wedding of your husband's Aunt Frankie. What a train on her dress! Also love the creative approach you took to the prompt photo. Hard to resist a bit of fiction on a non-fiction blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is getting fun...there's Gail's conclusion in her comment, see what you've started with your fantasy fiction! I do enjoy your Frankie's wedding photo...gorgeous gowns, hair, flowers all!

    ReplyDelete