Sunday, April 06, 2014

Cooking with Diep

I have a 5 pound roll around the middle. My walking training has consisted of walking from the refrigerator to the stove for the last few weeks. After thinking about the walk in Japan for months, I've ended up poorly prepared in every way - I don't even think I have the right clothes and have never really gotten all the gear on to try it out. New backpack, unused walking sticks - all the things they caution you NOT to do. And here I sit, writing instead of striding around the grove trying to catch up. 

That said, we had a wonderful time with Diep which I wouldn't trade for anything. I learned more from her than she did from me and her wonderful stories will keep me in blog material for a year.

Here's a sampling of the dishes we prepared and ate....
Friendship. Thin omelet, basil, cilantro, pepper, shrimp. Eat in two bites. 

Chinese inspired braised eggplant.

Tamarind beef.

Sticky rice wrapped in rice paper, sauteed.

Peanut candy. Vietnamese cooks routinely make caramel for marinades and candy.

Banana blossom salad ingredients. You can keep banana blossoms up to a month in the refrigerator.

Chayote - used for snacks or as a kind of appetizer.

Mini sweet potato cakes. Appetizer. 

Braised lemon grass chicken. Tastes far better than it looks. 

East meets West. Caramelized bananas and ice cream. 
Cinnamon and anise tofu. Whole cinnamon sticks and star anise buds.

Plate of friendship
Smart head...a kind of Vietnamese cabbage roll.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy. I have been walking every day as well. To the donut store for a fritter or a raisin wheel. Think the cost benefit analysis might be a little skewed but still thoroughly enjoying the jaunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice food styling and photography. It all looks yummy!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete