Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Sepia Saturday 249: Am I losing it?


"If two men are on a horse, one has to be behind." Shakespeare

When I looked at the prompt this week I immediately saw that the two white horses were sizing up the two passengers and comparing notes. And I could imagine what they were saying.....

"Will you look at those horses asses fooling around with their hats? I'm glad we're not working for those clowns. Sorry for rolling my eyes so much, but the guy with the beard is an idiot!"

"Yeah, well as if that's not enough -  we've got the real horses asses on our right! I swear they smell like they've been eating sauerkraut all day. You'd think Harry would have a little consideration. After working all day, he could have picked out a better parking spot for us."

If my grandfather's horses talked, I'm sure they would have made some disparaging remarks on this auspicious day in the photo below, when they moved the house from one farm to another. Curmudgeonly horses from neighboring farms were helping out. Might an equine conversation have gone something like this?

"We're going to move this house??? Right. What the hell was Hector thinking? These Fortiers go from one nutty scheme to another. Last week it was the paperless cigarettes! 

Oh well, lean in boys - we're here now. Let's pull hard and get this over with."



Not content with moving the whole house, Hector moved the smaller buildings to the new farm one at a time and the horses were pretty much fed up with it all.

"Not Again? What are we - Bekin's Moving and Storage? Seriously, is this in our job description? That's what you get for a job well done. Another job. Oh well, at least we're in the front this time."

And finally we have my grandfather on an ordinary day in his hay wagon with his beloved team, Blacky and Blaze, who appear to be having a chat. I've discovered that once the horses start talking in your photos, there's no shutting them up! 


Blacky (on the left). "I'm telling you...if he sings that song one more time, I'm going to scream. Pulling this hay wagon is tough enough without HIM bellowing out those dumb farmer songs all day."

Blaze (on the right). "And you think I'm enjoying it? If it weren't for the hay at the end of the day, I'd make a run for it. Argghh..please just a little peace and quiet. Silencieux Hector, s'il vous plait!"

Am I losing it? ....or did I have a little too much "Mr. Ed" in my teens?


A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister Ed.
Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.
He's always on a steady course.
Talk to Mister Ed.
People yakkity-yak a streak and waste your time of day
But Mr. Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.
A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.
You never heard of a talking horse?
Well listen to this: "I'm Mister Ed". 

This song was originally posted at:
http://bussongs.com/songs/a-horse-is-a-horse-mr-ed-tv-show.php

For more stories inspired by this photo and assuredly more mature than mine, head for Sepia Saturday.




22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a bunch of fun!!! Good Grief, as Charlie Brown would say, I used to watch that TV series, & one of the choral groups I used to sing with, sang the theme song as part of a medley of theme songs from favorite TV shows. How fortuitous you have those pictures of moving your grandfather's house & etc. to the new farm. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, it would be nice if horses could talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great fun conversations a la equines! Most enjoyable and with historic photos to support them. Yes, I was also there chuckling with Mr. Ed back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Now Mr. Ed's song will be going through my mind for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy your very different approach of imagining the conversations - it made for an entertaining post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures and story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "All this for a bucket of oats?"
    Humor aside, these are really interesting photos. Moving a building -- what a job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fun. I enjoyed all the imagined conversations and the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, very funny imagined conversations. You must be a horse whisperer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I don't have to be a horse whisperer to understand the conversations. Great fun with great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:34 PM

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness...I'm so slow...I honestly didn't realize they were moving a house literally until the 2nd photo. I laughed out loud at the horse dialogue. You keep it up. You're very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a Mr. Ed fan! I'm always amazed seeing photos of people moving houses back then especially in winter and on ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, they only moved structures in the winter because moving on ice was easier.

      Delete
  14. LOL, great post! These are amazing photographs to have. Horses really are so obliging!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:17 AM

    Moving a whole house! Really great photos, and neat to see the horses working hard at all their jobs and getting in on all the gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today a house moving would require a team of engineers, dozens of hydraulic jacks, and a few very large tractor trucks. And lots of $$$. But probably no talking horses.
    For a good laugh this video shows how the Amish do it without horsepower.
    http://youtu.be/oAlbFj0ZHr4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the video link...it's hilarious.

      Delete