Monday, August 17, 2009

Stanford

Yesterday we left from Burbank, flew up to San Jose, rented a National Rental Car and checked in at the Marriott Residence Inn in Palo Alto. Out to dinner at Il Fornaioa downtown and had an excellent meal. My wine, a Grillo was great. Richard had prosciutto and Melon and a mixed seafood grill appetizer plate. I had a pasta, like ravioli but bigger and free form in shape, filled with squash and walnuts with an excellent tomato/red pepper sauce. Bread was excellent and a cup of coffee at the end was also great...tasted like it smelled. Back in the room we watched the finale of Mad Men..we couldn't get the opening segment as we don't get AMC in the room.

This morning everything went smoothly. We met Dr. Sotsly and Drs. Chang one right after the other. They told me my tumor was growing out of the auditory canal in an unusual way which is why it is causing the hearing loss. They didn't seem particularly concerned about the other symptoms. They ordered an MRI which we had a bit of confusion over but finally had it. They sent me over at 12:30 and after straightening out the mix-up I was MRI'd about 4 - a short one with contrast only.

Richard and I went out and shopped at Crate and Barrel looking at tables and chairs, the to downtown Palo Alto and strolled the main street, cruising Restoration Hardware.Our meal at Tamarine was excellent. I had chicken with kumquats and roasted cauliflower; Richard had Cod roasted in a clay pot. We shared rice cooked with anise. For dessert, I had coconut tapioca with two sorbets and two sauces; Richard had a citrus flan with a cream sauce. We both had a Vietnamese coffee sweetened with condensed sweetened milk. It was great. For wine, I had an Alsatian gewurtztraminer and Richard an Alsatian beer. Nice meal to end Day 1 of the proceedings. Only 4 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment