Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Sepia Saturday 286: Inle Lake

.

One of the most beautiful fishing spots I've ever seen is Lake Inle in Myanmar. There are all kinds of environmental problems occurring at this site, the most important being that the lake is filling in with dirt eroding from the surrounding hills. This problem and others are slowly being addressed.

Meanwhile one-legged rowers still ply their way silently back and forth across the lake tending to nets and aquaculture and carting tourists around. Fortunately, we've always been there off-season and have not seen the serenity ruined by crowds and noise. I have yet to hear a cell phone ringing unless the ring tones mimic the sound of a boat gliding over the water. The photos are from last September. I would return there in a moments notice. 

I'm posting from Oman on the last leg (pardon the pun) of a vacation so I'm keeping this short.

Find more fish stories at www.sepiasaturday.blogspot.com.

11 comments:

  1. Some lovely pictures here. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the third shot. I wonder if any of them fall in sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'd want to ride in a canoe with a guy rowing with his leg.
    Otherwise it looks beautiful there.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos, Helen, capturing the serenity that you tall about very well. I particularly like the second one, with its precarious balance point, the fisherman's almost falling into his own reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos with vivid colours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous shots! First guy is an acrobat, for sure! Interesting technique, but I can see how it might work in calm water. Fishermen in Maine have a way of "sculling" boats from the stern with one oar, but they're sitting down while doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a place of great beauty and interesting traditions. Their fishing technique appears to with net traps and not pole with baited hook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs. I just noticed the word in Arabic written on the bottom right of the fish picture. I wonder why and how that got there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a serene location, and I'm so glad you captured its beauty with your camera so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks very calm and serene, although I imagine that it's also very hot and humid there, and that you need lots of insect repellant to ward off a multitude of swarming cretures. Were you fishing yourselves, or just enjoying the fishermen's catches?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some precarious-looking boats and manner of getting around! Your trip seems to be introducing you to very interesting and unusual places.

    ReplyDelete