Eilleen was visiting mother's house in Winnipeg and decided to roast a chicken for dinner. She turned my mom's oven on and stuck the chicken in to roast. They were doing the usual pre-dinner routine, chatting away, probably having a cocktail, when they realized the house was filling with smoke. Eilleen ran to the kitchen to see flames coming out of the oven. She called 911 and she and mom ran outside. Several minutes later, sirens screaming, the fire department arrived, crashed into the house and extinguished the fire.
Mother, it turned out, had been keeping her underwear in the oven and forgot to inform Eilleen about her unconventional storage arrangement. As she didn't use the oven at that point, it seemed logical to her to use the space for something else. Why not groceries or plates or cooking equipment? I'll never know.
Oven Fire Safety Tip Number 1. Keep your Maidenform out of your General Electric!