Thursday, October 01, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese ala Sunset Magazine


Tonight we are having Sunset Magazine's Utlimate Mac and Cheese. I made it this morning because we are having high heat later in the day and we won't want the oven on. You make a sauce out of gruyere and cheddar, white wine, shallots, dijon mustard, nutmeg and chile powder. Stir this into the macaroni and top with fresh bread crumbs. Just out of the oven, it is delicious. I added ham and it tastes like a rarebit to me.

We've been on a nostalgia food thing for a while and find ourselves longing not for the exotic but for simple foods we ate at our respective homes. Mac and Cheese is part of this harkening back to our youth.

I can also blame our sister-in-law Jan for this. She makes macaroni and cheese for the grandchildren fairly often and we hear about it via emails. The idea of it never fails to make my mouth water. It also reminds me of our high home ec classes where we learned to make a basic white sauce. I never dreamed that this knowledge could be so useful and I've applied it many, many times in my career in commercial foods as well as in my life as a home cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment